Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Nanhu Park

Dad and the kids at Nanhu Pak

The Bike we rented








Entrance to Nanhu Park










Joshua on Dad's shoulders



A little ham with a bowl on his head!









We had a great day yesterday - 8/21/2007. We got up in the early morning hours (6:00 a.m. to be exact) and realized that the day was going to be beautiful. A cool front came through and there was sunshine all day. All the smog and pollution was blown away and there was a nice cool breeze. We ate breakfast, talked on Skype for a while and took a taxi to Nanhu Park.

Nanhu Park is where Joshua was abandoned on 8/24/04. He was 5 months old at the time. The park is really a neat place. It is about 300 acres and has gardens, carnival type rides, boat rentals, food to purchase and bike rentals. We rented a 6 person bike. It had two bench seats and three people sit on each bench. Four people peddle while the other two (me and Joshua) get to ride. We rented it for about an hour and had a great time. We walked around the park for a while and took photos of where we thought she might have left him. All the paperwork said was the southwest corner of the park so we just took photos of the park for him. It was really a very sad time. As we walked through the parkI realized that it was almost exactly 3 years to the day when he was abandoned. I wondered as we walked if his mother ever comes back to the park and what she must have been thinking when she left her baby at this extremely busy place. I wondered if she hid behind some bushes as Miriam did when Moses was left to make sure he was found. Whatever the case, she left him somewhere that she new he would be found. I believe with all my heart that she wanted to give him more than she could.

We got back to the hotel and ate noodles for lunch in the room. While Joshua napped, Chase, William & Lawrence went to bowl (yes again)! We played some games in the room and went to dinner at McDonalds. After dinner we went to Wal Mart again!! This time we found some oreos and bannana bread! The banana bread was baked in the bakery and was only $.50! We will go back tonight for more of that! It is great for breakfast.

Site of the Day:

As we walked to McDonalds we saw a man begging on the sidewalk. He had no hands and no feet. They were just like limbs that ended abrubtly and I can't see anyway that the man could walk. It was so sad! I could hardly eat my meal without feeling terrible!

Miscellaneous thoughts:
1. Anyone want to lose weight - come to China and adopt a baby!! I think I have lost 10 pounds already!!
  1. As I type this the boys are teaching Joshua to play baseball with an empty one liter bottle and an inflatable ball.

  2. In case you have left comments on here, I can't read them! I am sorry! I am hoping to try to correct the problem, but it won't bring up my blog and when it does it comes up in Chinese!! Keep commenting though! I hope to read them when I correct the problem!

  3. Thanks to all of you who have visited with us on Skype! That has been great!

  4. Thanks for your prayers! We only have one more day here and on to Guangzhou on Friday!
  5. Joshua is a pack rat! He puts all of his things in Wal Mart bags or any kind of bag he can find and carries it with him everywhere.

  6. He loves his jar of peanut butter and he says it sooo cute. I wish you could all hear him.
I may not post again until we get to Guangzhou on Friday! I hope you all are doing well!

Love, The Kelley Family



8 comments:

Trisha said...

Dear Kelley's
I am so glad to hear that your dreams are coming true with Joshua. I have been sitting here in tears reading about your experiences. God Bless your journey. We are praying for you all. Love Trisha (Andrews) Ellis

Becky said...

I just about cried I was laughing so hard that Joshua thinks his peanut butter jar is "sooooo cute!" So glad you all are having a good time on the other side of the world. We love you lots!

Aaron & Beck

Lydia*J said...

Kelley Family,
It makes me so happy to read all of these wonderful stories about Joshua! It is so funny to hear how he loves that peanut butter jar so much!
I am sure when you all come back you will be very good bowlers. ;)
You guys continue to be in my prayers!

*Lydia*

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear everything is going so well, and that you had a wonderful trip to the park:) Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves.We can't wait to meet Joshua and see you all again!! We are still praying for you all.
♥Tim,Kim,Tabitha & Gabriel

Natalie said...

Hello Kelley's,
We have enjoyed reading about your advenutres in China. We can't wait to meet Joshua! As for Joshua being a "pack rat"...Sarah is EXACTLY the same...she packs bags all over the house (which has made our toys completely in a crazy mess)...but i love the imagination that it involves...she's always going on a trip somewhere (she talks to herself alot while packing the bags)! She and Joshua are only a month apart in age so they are both right on track! We are all anxious to have you back, meet Joshua, and HUG you all!
love,
Natalie, Randy, Sarah & Taylor

Ellen said...

Hi Kelleys!
Thanks for the update again! I LOVE reading about what all you are experiencing, i think it would do everyone some good to see what you have had to see. I also love the stories about joshua and his PB jar. you need to find him a little JIF shirt or somthing :) We miss you and cant wait to have you back!
Love,
Ellen

Michelle said...

Hello to all SIX Kelleys!! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the pictures of your beautiful Joshua. We are praying for a safe return home for all of you!
Love,
Derek and Michelle

tandvvela said...

If adopting a baby over there makes you lose 10 pounds, I think I need to go over and pick up THREE!!

Valerie